Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Florida etc.

Hmph. No, I'm not the one there. My nephew, sis and bro in law, and his little girl (my nephew's step sis) are. It's 86 and sunny, and my bro in law texted me to ask "beach or pool first?" I may have to shoot him. :-)

I'm babysitting my nephew's cats, and have already spoiled them. I gave them "gushy food" on Sat, and when I went over again Monday, Jack let me know that he really would like some more of that stuff, right away, fast as I can, soon as possible. He was literally beckoning me to follow him to the kitchen. >^..^<>
One of my colleagues is getting married in August and I'm singing for them. I made sure they know "NO PAUL STOOKEY'S WEDDING SONG" I hate hate hate that thing....."oooh- goodie - 10 bars into the song I get to a new note." Blech. Plus the whole "man and wife" thing is archaic - I always just made it a triplet "husband and wife." If someone really really wanted it, I'd sing it, but I charged them an extra $30. There are a lot of songs out there that are infintely better than that dreck.

I may even make my husband sing with me. :-) You know the old saying ..."the ladies swoon for the tenor, but go home with the bass" - well, I went home with the tenor. I like to be different.

Of course this means I'll have to practice more than I have been , which is good incentive. Plus it's ooutdoors, which means acapella. I get to sing in whatever key I want to, instead of having to transpose something if I don't like it in the key it's written.

I googled Wedding Songs and one site says "Nothing Compares 2 U" is a good wedding song - um - hello - that song is about missing someone. Probably not a wedding song...Van Morrison's "Have I Told You Lately" is nice - people are always surprised about that one until I read them the lyrics. Bruce Springsteen wrote a really nice one, "Wait for me." Gordon Lightfoot's "Beautiful" is one of my favorites. It can be fun to think outside the box a little, and do something people don't necessarily associate with weddings.

1 comment:

Susie said...

I was fascinated by the music part.