Thursday, August 28, 2008

What would you eat??

I found this on my friend's blog (http://floatinglush.blogspot.com/) and thought it looked interesting. She's quite a bit braver than I am, but here goes....

The VGT Omnivore’s Hundred:

1) Copy this list into your blog or journal, including these instructions.
2) Bold all the items you’ve eaten.
3) Cross out any items that you would never consider eating.

1. Venison
2. Nettle tea
3. Huevos rancheros
4. Steak tartare
5. Crocodile
6. Black pudding ( I suppose I'll have to try this in the UK)
7. Cheese fondue
8. Carp
9. Borscht I've had it but that doesn't mean I had to like it.
10. Baba ghanoush
11. Calamari
I make my husband eat the parts that LOOK like calamari. :-)
12. Pho
13. PB&J sandwich
14. Aloo gobi
15. Hot dog from a street cart
16. Epoisses
17. Black truffle
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes
19. Steamed pork buns
20. Pistachio ice cream
21. Heirloom tomatoes I don't eat raw tomatoes, although I do eat them cooked, sundried, etc.
22. Fresh wild berries
23. Foie gras Do you know what they do to make this???
24. Rice and beans
25. Brawn, or head cheese
tasted it to say I did.
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper
27. Dulce de leche
28. Oysters My husband loves them, so if I don't eat them, it's more for him. I'm being very unselfish, aren't I??
29. Baklava
30. Bagna cauda
31. Wasabi peas
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl I did live in San Francisco, after all.
33. Salted lassi I've had lassi but I don't know if it was salted.
34. Sauerkraut Even though I have German ancestry, I don't have to eat that stuff.
35. Root beer float
36. Cognac with a fat cigar
37. Clotted cream tea
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O
39. Gumbo
40. Oxtail
41. Curried goat
42. Whole insects Does chocolate covered ants count?
43. Phaal
44. Goat’s milk
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more
46. Fugu Hey - one false move by the chef and you're dead. Nope!
47. Chicken tikka masala
48. Eel
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut Yuck - nasty.
50. Sea urchin
51. Prickly pear
52. Umeboshi
53. Abalone
54. Paneer
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal
56. Spaetzle
57. Dirty gin martini

58. Beer above 8% ABV
59. Poutine
60. Carob chips
61. S’mores
62. Sweetbreads
63. Kaolin I have no idea what this is.
64. Currywurst
65. Durian
66. Frogs’ legs
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake
68. Haggis We're going to Scotland in October, so I'd better not rule this out.
69. Fried plantain
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette
71. Gazpacho
72. Caviar and blini
Took a bite to say I did, so I don't have to any more.
73. Louche absinthe
74. Gjetost, or brunost
75. Roadkill
76. Baijiu
77. Hostess Fruit Pie
78. Snail
79. Lapsang souchong
80. Bellini
81. Tom yum
82. Eggs Benedict
83. Pocky
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant. (Maybe when we're in London in Oct...)
85. Kobe beef
86. Hare
I took one bite once, but since I had a rabbit (Shilo) I won't again. Pets are not for eating!
87. Goulash
88. Flowers
89. Horse see HARE
90. Criollo chocolate
91. Spam

92. Soft shell crab If my husband gets it ready for me....
93. Rose harissa
94. Catfish
95. Mole poblano
96. Bagel and lox
97. Lobster Thermidor
98. Polenta
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee I HATE coffee. Blech.
100. Snake I'm scared to death of snakes, but that doesn't mean I want to eat them.

I had to look up some of these to see what they were. I guess now that I look at it, I'm braver than I thought, but picky, too. Let's call it discerning, shall we??

1 comment:

The Floating Lush said...

Salty lassis are REALLY REALLY salty. You most likely had a sweet one, which usually aren't all that sweet (although they can be).

Over on the original poster's blog, the consensus is that chocolate-covered insects count, since there's still insects in there.

Kaolin is clay, and I'm a little unclear as how it counts as food, since it's often used in face masks. Yum.