Tuesday, May 12, 2009

43 TV and beyond

I've used Hulu before and like it. Joost seems pretty similar. I've also used surfthechannel.com and like that as well; I've been able to find things there that weren't available elsewhere. Many of the things I searched for weren't available, or just were promo clips. My husband travels a lot for work and will miss episodes of shows he likes, so we've been known to just go to the network website and watch catch up on the episodes that way. I watched a short clip of Henry Cho (a comedian I like) on the Craig Ferguson show via Hulu (searching Joost brought up no results). It took forever at work - everything seems to be running slow today.

While I like these services, I don't know that they'll replace network/cable tv in the near future, but it's a convenient alternative for those who have the equipment to utilize this. Some problems at this time include being tech savvy enough to use/troubleshoot this services. One also needs a computer and connection that is capable of streaming these types of casts - higher bandwidth, RAM, etc. You'd want a larger monitor, too- many people are bothered by the smaller screen. I didn't mind that so much. There's also the issue of hosting that type of website - could get pretty spendy.

I mainly tend to use this to catch up on something I miss, and I don't even do that too often - I don't watch much tv, I guess. And usually if I miss something, I catch the rerun. :-) For me, it isn't going to affect broadcast tv/cable, and it's still hit or miss finding something to watch. Netflix is considering not using DVDs anymore, just streaming. (I still prefer DVDs, myself). I don't know that it will be soon, but eventually I would think more entities will follow suit, or at least make it an attractive option.

No comments: