I've been reading on Digg and Reddit for quite awhile. I also like Fark just for the funny titles and interesting, offbeat things that turn up there. I looked at Mixx and might check that again, but I don't know that I'll use Newsvine much. I've never bothered to register for any of them, because I just like reading the submissions, but am not interested in voting up or down, etc. I've definitely read a lot of things that I might not have otherwise seen, which is both good and bad, I suppose. I tend to just copy and paste urls to send articles on via email, since most of the people I would send things to find this easier. I'd rather do that than sign up for yet another service to remember - especially since I can get what I want out of them without signing up.
It could be useful to save articles and/or websites for customers and students that are doing research - a library could set up one or more reference accounts, and students could then check the reference profile(s) to see what they've saved. Some of the services allow for blogging, and that would be useful as well.
Depending on the day, these services can be both productive and distracting. Some days there are many articles or postings I want to check out, some days none. They don't always have much to do with work, but since librarians are supposed to know what's going on, that's my excuse. :-) Let's call it cultural literacy, ok??
No comments:
Post a Comment