Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Thing 17 ELM

I've been aware of the extra things you can do here, but hadn't done them very much. I would use the "Folder" functions to save searches I"m doing for customers, and then send the whole thing to them. The webpage idea in Academic Search is fun, but not so useful for me at this time. I didn't see a way to send the whole webpage to anyone - when I emailed it, there was the "content" part and the "page background" part, so it didn't function as a regular webpage. Any additions would have to be saved again, rather than as you're doing it. Saving it to my harddrive was easy, but it's only available within the library I'm at. I think I'm more likely to send a folder full of articles rather than construct a webpage.

The RSS function is nice for someone who is starting research more than a day in advance...:-) We do actually get some kids like that, and if they have a reader they use I'd recommend this to them. I'm not sure how many of our kids do that, though. They always are pleasantly surprised that they can find articles online....

Proquests "My Research" is very handy,(you have to click on marked items to see it) but again, I would most likely send the links in an email, or create a bibliography, rather than creating a webpage. I think the webpages would be very useful in a school setting, where students would have access to the webpage within the building. This could also be used in the work setting to share articles and information.

I've used NetLibrary, and like it. The book in the example doesn't seem to be there anymore, but I find the notes function to be pretty handy.

No comments: